Thursday, December 17, 2009

A Christmas Smile

Well I was thinking today that we needed to go shopping for christmas. I wanted a gift for our daughter to open and get a smile out of her or even a "wow".
But than I really really looked at Sophia and than she said " turnaround"`. Most of you are probably thinking "so why would this make you think?" well this is why. Since Sophia doesnt speak much due to her spina bifida and cebral palsy, that one word only "turnaround" is extremely hard to phonetically speak. and it came from my daughter!
So as she said this word i did as she asked.
To which she than said " Ha , do it again". Just like that she said a command and than asks me to do it again!

This just made me smile. Thats when I realized, it wasnt going to matter what Santa put under the Christmas Tree this year for her or for me. Because simple words and gestures like a smile are things that can't be wrapped up in a box only to be taken out once in a while. I wanted to hear her speak more and see and feel her smile.
I cant help but feel like I am in heaven already when I am surrounded my her. Her heart, mind, body, and soul are so open. Ready to embrace what we have to give her.

There is no gift that can show her how much she is loved and how very special she is. But i do know that this Christmas is already a miracle because she is still here!

I have decided, since of course money is tight, that we shall put one gift under the tree for her to open. But what i will have this Christmas is a smile from our daughter that I will always be hopefully able to see.


I want everyone to remember its not how many gifts you receive or give but how you make someone smile and feel.
So please Smile at each other for you never know how much one positive expression can make someone feel. For what that feeling is felt is as simple as loving warmth!

Give them the gift of a christmas smile.

1 comment: